Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wild Card

Often times when I'm scheming up ideas for clients I like to give them several options to choose from. One of those options I call my "wild card". Its a step out of their comfort zone. A complete opposite to the style they were thinking. I've discovered this helps them narrow down quicker-they either hate the wild card or they start thinking in a new light. 

I consider my house fairly traditional with a splash of modern rustic. But it's not traditional in the sense you might think. I don't own doilies, not everything is tufted, and I can't stand Tiffany style lamps. There are a lot of aspects of my home that would dub it Transitional, a mix between traditional and modern. A term we use often in the design world to describe almost everyone's style these days.

So with all that being said I will get to the point :-) When coming up with schemes for my guest bedroom I had several "safe" transitional ideas, but there was one idea that wouldn't leave my mind...my wild card. It wasn't until a trip to Germany, to visit my sister and brother-in-law, that my wild card idea actually came into full light. While shopping one day in Munich we ran into Bo Concept and in there, I spotted it.


The piece of resistance. A 30 x 40 collage print canvas entitled "Inside". The colors spoke to me and the subject was just wild enough to fit with my idea for the room. 

It was big, bold, and fabulous and I wanted it. But how on earth would I get it home?! Luckily for me, my sister and brother-in-law were moving home in a couple of months and it could hitch a ride with their stuff! Waahoo! So I made my purchase and carried it 7 blocks back to their flat.


Fast forward to 3 months and 5,000 miles later and its now here and ready to take its place in the guest room.

But you'll have to wait till the next post to see the room. I'll make it worth the wait...I promise!









No comments:

Post a Comment